Saturday, February 25, 2012

First Recipe share & Info.

Hello!

I am very excited to be here to post, share, invent & exchange recipes with you!  This is my first time figuring out the language of writing a recipe down for others, so helpful feedback is awesome!
My goal is to get enough people actively participating that I can come here for new food ideas instead of searching online.  I know it will take some time, so let's get started!!!

I'd love to see posts of your own versions of recipes or recommend a change-up to the originals. I'll try to answer any questions if I can!


When I'm deciding what to cook I'm looking at a few things.
1. How long is this gonna take vs how hungry am I right the heck now!
2. Ingredients I already have available, because I know I'm not going on a trip for one measly thing.
3. Clean-up.  How much scrubbing and soaking is this going to take!?

My first recipe takes about 45 minutes total.  That's prep, cook & clean.
Most of the ingredients you already have, and if you don't--there is plenty of room to improvise.
Clean-up is pretty easy, thanks to Aluminum Foil!

Steak & Shrimp Soft Taco
They are simple & delicious so I make them for lunch.

What you'll need is:
6 Medium Flour Tortillas
1 Steak of your choice (doesn't need to be fancy!)
2 cups Small Shrimp (can buy frozen & prepped to eat)
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Lemon Juice
Taco Seasoning packet of choice
3 Garlic cloves (finely chopped)
1/4 cup Onion (finely chopped) or Onion Powder
2 cups Shredded Cheese of choice
1/4 cup Red & Green Pepper (chopped)
Hot Sauce (if spicy)
Sour Cream
1 can Refried Beans   

Frying Pan (x2)
baking sheet or cake pan
Aluminum Foil

Cut steak into squares or strips.  I cut mine into squares.

Place cut steak into a frying pan and add 2 tbs Taco Seasoning, 1 1/2 garlic cloves, half of chopped onion (1/8 cup) or a tablespoon of onion powder, half of chopped peppers (1/8 cup) salt & pepper to taste & tsp of hot sauce (optional)

Cook over medium heat until steak is cooked.  (Approximately 6-8 minutes)

Place boiled shrimp into a frying pan and add 2 tbsp olive oil, squeeze of lemon juice, 1 tbs of pepper, remaining garlic, onion, & peppers and tsp of hot sauce (optional)  


For extra flavor you can boil or marinade your shrimp.

To Marinade:  add 2 tbsp olive oil, squeeze of lemon juice, 1 tbs of pepper, remaining garlic, onion, & peppers and tsp of hot sauce (optional) in plastic bag, shake and allow to sit overnight in fridge.

To Boil: Add shrimp & 2 cups water to sauce pan over medium heat.  
As soon as the water begins to boil, pull from heat and drain.

Cook over medium heat(Approx. 6 minutes)--I know it's done when most of the liquid is absorbed.

There is a lot of maneuver room with seasoning the meat so get down with your inner chef & add whatever else you know you like.  Just be careful not to over-do it!  

Preheat oven to 325F.

Place Aluminum Foil on the inside of pan.  (This helps with clean-up!)

Heat your Refried Beans.  (stove or microwave--totally up to you!)
Mix in 1/4 cup Sour Cream with Refried Beans.

Butter Tortillas with Refried Beans & sprinkle with cheese.  I really lay it on thick.

Now it's time to add the meat.  Fill the middle of your tortilla with steak & top with shrimp.

To finish: More cheese on top of meat.

Fold tortilla to enclose meat like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGjJSFysbis

Place in pan and bake in oven for 10ish minutes until tortilla starts to go golden.

Let cool (if you have self-control and value your taste buds)...& enjoy!


There are tons of variations of this so I'd love to hear yours!  
Also please comment any ideas for next time!!!

Thanks for reading.



























1 comment:

  1. Thank you for adding me as a favorite Alexander. I'm not much of a photographer (nor try to be) but I'll check out your blog anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete